Breaking News

Exclusive Interview With Pete Mckee




















stopcryingyourheartout.com has been lucky enough to interview Sheffield artist Pete Mckee.

We quiz him about the artwork he has done for Oasis, the 10ft guitar he painted for Gibson Guitartown, meeting Paul Weller, Steve Cradock, Noel & Gem Archer in Weller's studio and more.

Q: How did you get onto painting your cartoons?
A: Out of Necessity, I was skint and I wanted to give my mate a good birthday present.

Q: How did you go about getting Noel Gallagher to see your artwork?
A: I was cheeky and sent him a print, I'm sure he and Liam gets inundated with gifts, so it blew my mind when he got in contact with me.










Q: The 10 Foot Les Paul guitar that you did for Noel for Gibson Guitartown last year was simply superb and went for over £3000 at auction. Do you know who bought it and did it surprise you it went for so much?
A: I believe the Teenage Cancer Trust bought it and I was over the moon that I was able to help raise the money.

Q. What was it like to have your artwork on display with such great artists as Sir Peter Blake, Gerald Scarff, Rosie Brooks and many others?
A: It' was rather a proud moment to have my guitar stood next to Sir Peter Blake's, though I was more proud that Noel asked me to do the painting in the first place.













Q: Is it true that you caught Paul Weller's eye with the guitar that you did for Noel?
A: I think he was rather taken by it, especially as his was rather plain, but that's just my opinion.
Q: I saw on your website www.petemckee.com that you met Noel & Gem at Paul Weller's studio earlier this year. That must have been a great experience...
A: One of the most serial mornings of my life, It sort of didn't sink in really, as it wasn't planed. You tell yourself that these people are just the same as you but in reality they are the two people who've help play the sound track to my life, so you can't help but feel a little star struck. Paul Weller, Steve Cradock, Noel and Gem are proper gents.

Q: Are there any other musicians that you would like to work with?
A: I'm a massive fan of Edwyn Collins, who suffered a massive stroke a couple of years ago, I'd love to work with him as I have immense respect for him and his work.













Q: Noel must have been thrilled with the work you did for the guitar to let you do a gig poster and limited edition print. Did you pick the gig? And why that one.. And are they going to be a part of a series celebrating some of the bands legendary shows?.
A: Not sure why that one was picked, so your guess is as good as mine on that one, though I can tell you I did about 9 different designs for the poster and that was the one Noel and the lads picked.

Q: Is there a story behind the image of the print?
A: I sort of imagined this fan taking a day trip to Brighton for the gig and have a few hours to spend before the gig, so entertains himself by arising around on a few kids rides.

Q: Have you heard anything positive from the band on the print?
A: I know they like it.













Q: I have seen posts on various Oasis forums and sites for you to do the artwork for the next album. If Noel gave you a call to do ask you to do it, would you take him up on his offer?
A: Like a flippin shot. I'm touched that people have mentioned it. I'd like to think that most Oasis fans could relate to my work as like the band we are all working class kids.

Q: What's your favorite album by Oasis?
A: I'm old school so it's (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

Q: What's your favorite track by Oasis?
A: I'm going to say She's Electric. Because I love the story in that song, it's like how I hope my painting look.

Q: Are there any other projects you are working on at the moment that you can tell us about.?
A: I'm currently painting my little fingers off on a new exhibition called 33 and a 3rd. and is all about music, both watching it, playing it and wearing the clothes. It's in Sheffield and is launched on April 13th at the Forum.










Q: I saw on Wikipedia that you were commissioned by Acme studios to interpret characters from US TV shows The Simpsons, Family Guy and Futurama. How did that come about? And what does it evole?
A: It's still in the pipeline and has been for 12 months now, they must do things differently over their. But I got the job when I exhibited in New York and the guys saw my work there.

Q: Finally did you enjoy the Game between Sheffield Wednesday and United enough a few weeks ago, to do a painting on it?
A: I've done enough Wednesday paintings for the mo' so I shall just bask in the glory.

Pete's Weller Lambretta (pictured) has a big feature in April's edition of Scootering Magazine, visit www.petemckee.com for more details and visit the official Oasis store HERE to have a look at the 1994 Brighton Gig posters and prints.

Special thanks to Pete Mckee for finding the time in his busy schedule for the interview, it is gratefully appreciated.

No comments