Breaking News

John Lewis Christmas Advert Gets Makeover From Goldie Lookin Chain














Welsh rap outfit Goldie Lookin' Chain have thrown their hat into the Christmas song ring with a brilliant take on the John Lewis advert - Man on the Moon.

Whereas Norwegian singer Aurora Asknes covers Oasis' Half the World Away, GLC have put their own clever lyrics on the backing track of Noel Gallagher's most touching songs.

The boys ask us to stop buying presents that can't even be sold on and also take a pop at Christmas jumpers.

The video also features past John Lewis adverts as well as classic Christmas TV moments like EastEnders' Arthur Fowler's breakdown.

"But the John Lewis one came out on Friday morning and we decided to have a look at what we could do with it," he continued. "With Christmas there's so much to write about anyway.

"As soon as the temporary Halloween shop in town disappears they slam a Christmas one in there, then on Boxing Day, they slam an Easter one there.

"By December 12, no one is interested in Christmas any more, it hasn't snowed, it's raining."



Rhys adds: "The junk my mother buys me, I don't even need biscuit tins.

"I don't eat many biscuits - and if I do, I keep them in the packet.

"When me and my sister were kids, my parents bought us a ping-pong table, we couldn't fit it in the house, it had to go in the garage and the car had to go on the street.

"I didn't even play ping-pong.

"The bottom line with the John Lewis advert is that they are a big shop who sell lots of stuff and they want people to buy it."

GLC's Eggsy aka John Rutledge says that all you need at Christmas is a coal fire and good friends.

"The best things in life are the simple things," he adds. "If John Lewis wants to raise awareness for Age UK maybe they should chuck a few million to them.

"I don't like the manipulation of it - you just know there was a marketing man in London, in skinny jeans, probably called Julian, trying to think of a cause to link to the ad."

The two GLC members are not totally opposed to Christmas, with Eggsy arranging a Christmas Eve walk every year and Rhys loves to torment his family with Christmas songs.

Eggsy adds: "I and a few other blokes go for a walk in the middle of now-were - I call it Uncle Daddy's Christmas Walk.

"It's lovely, there's no drinking until you black out, just being around good people."

And it's not all Scrooge-like behaviour around Rhys' house at Christmas, he says: "I do love Christmas really, I cook a big dinner for everyone, I've got Christmas songs on in each room."

"My parents go around the house turning them off, but I'm right behind them putting them back on," he addded. "And we have a Christmas quiz too."

He does also like the original advert though: "That Aurora has such a sweet voice, but in the end for our version we used the original Oasis' track because it had more oomph.

"Noel's pretty cool with us so I hope he doesn't mind. And 'Mr Lewis', I'm sure he'll be cool with it too.

"There are lots of parodies around. We'll see. I'm hoping this will boost our chances of doing the Eurovision Song Contest next year."

Source: www.mirror.co.uk

Check out the current collection and offers from Pretty Green here.

No comments